Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Hidden gluten got me again

The old nauseous burning pain in the stomach resurfaced this week. At first I attributed it to stress, but then I realized that this is the same nauseous burning pain in the stomach that I had before I went gluten free.

So, either I have another food allergy, which is possible- eggs have given me problems off and on for years, or I've somehow been adding gluten. I haven't been having the swollen throat reaction, so this whole thing crept up on me. After reviewing what I've been eating the last few days, I narrowed it down to eggs, polska kielbasa, or one of my vitamins. If it's eggs, I'll have to completely eliminate them, but that will be the last option I try. The label of the polska kielbasa didn't have anything that should have given me this many problems, but I'll probably avoid it in the future just to be safe.

The most likely culprit at this point is one of my vitamins. I checked all the labels, and my vitamin d supplement could be the one- I recently started using a different brand than I had been buying, and the label says it's produced in a facility that also processes wheat (among other allergens). All my other vitamins specifically say gluten free.

I removed all the vitamin d capsules from my pill box, didn't take it last night, and so far my stomach is feeling better. The nausea burning pain feelings are still there, but not as bad. My appetite also feels a lot more normal. The last few days I've had horrible cravings to eat, eat, eat. After a year of being gluten free I'd forgotten just how I react to it. I need to write down these symptoms so if I start feeling them again I'll realize quicker that something is off.

It's amazing that even tiny amounts of gluten can make me feel this crummy. This also highlights the dangers of cross-contamination, and the fact that it is a real issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment