Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Gluten free Lemon Blueberry Granola

lemon blueberry granola

Since we're not eating gluten, eggs, dairy, or corn now (yeah, I know, quite the list. but I feel so much better that it's worth it), I'm having to re-think our daily menus. Breakfast is the biggest problem since we used to eat eggs or cinnamon chex (which have corn in them) with cottage cheese and milk (tastes better than it sounds).

I made some gluten free vegan zucchini muffins that turned out quite good. Looking for recipes that are gluten free and vegan is the easiest way I've found to avoid dairy and eggs. There's a lot of recipes that eliminate one or the other, but it's harder to find recipes that eliminate both. Since vegan recipes do not contain dairy products or egg, that's what I look for these days. We're not giving up meat though!

I've also made a couple batches of granola. The first was cinnamon raisin, the second was lemon blueberry. I thought both turned out pretty yummy. Add some coconut milk, and it's even more yummy.

The base is gluten free oatmeal and quinoa flakes and is easy to make. It's actually very similar to my mom's granola recipe that I used to make in my pre-gluten free days. I like that I can adapt the recipe by adding different extracts (vanilla, lemon, orange, etc) and different dried fruit (raisins, blueberries, cranberries, etc)

I've been playing with the recipe a bit- adding unsweetened applesauce for better "clumps" and trying different flavor combinations. My next efforts will be orange cranberry and mixed berry.

What are some other flavor combinations that might be good?

No comments:

Post a Comment