Friday, October 2, 2009

Living with two chronic diseases

This is a post I've been thinking about for while, and am finally finishing.

Back in August, the Meanest Mom, who has a chronic disease of her own, hosted an online Ms. Chronic Disease of America E-Pageant. Basically, you wrote in with all the sexy details of your chronic disease. I thought about entering, but I'm just not as clever with words as some people. The first contestant featured has PCOS, which got me thinking. I don't have just one chronic disease, I have two. I will have to deal with PCOS and gluten intolerance my whole life- they're not going to go away. I can minimize a lot of the symptoms, but if I do the wrong things I will definitely feel worse.

I've been feeling a lot better without gluten. After 10 years of feeling like crap (and sometimes worse), it's nice to feel almost human again. Unfortunately I keep forgetting that just because I've gotten to the root of part of my problem and figured out how to deal with it, doesn't mean that everything is completely better. I still have to deal with PCOS and yeast problems.
Comparatively, the gluten intolerance is way easier to deal with than the PCOS. Supposedly, they can both be controlled with a careful diet, but the results of a gluten free diet are seen much quicker (in me) than those of a PCOS friendly diet. I recently read 'The PCOS Diet Book' by Colette Harris. I was really hoping for something profound, but there really wasn't much I didn't already know: eat a variety of low glycemic index foods- whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies, lean meat, etc. Exercise. Lose weight. Get enough sleep.
The most helpful section was the section about herbal supplements to help with symptoms and hormonal imbalances. I'm trying Vitex to help with my hormones, and I'm taking aloe vera juice to help my intestines work properly.
The thing is is that I've always tried to eat healthy, exercise regularly, and tried (unsuccessfully till just recently) to lose weight and get enough sleep. Despite all that, I've never really noticed my symptoms getting better. Talk about depressing. Maybe that's why I've pretty much ignored it since I found out about it more than 5 years ago. Nothing works, so if I ignore it, it'll go away, right? I wish.
I've been losing weight (20 pounds now!), but it's slowed down the last few weeks. Thinking about fruit and its affect on me also got me thinking about PCOS. I've been ignoring it, but I can't keep doing that. Just because I figured out one cause of my weight problems, I haven't got all the causes of my weight problems taken care of (PCOS definitely causes weight problems, so combined with gluten intolerance, I never had a chance). So now I have to focus on figuring out how to eat to control the PCOS. I need to be more careful about the sugar that creeps into my diet. I need to work on not stress-eating, which I most definitely do (usually chocolate). I need to make sure I'm exercising a bit more consistently than I have been.

Hopefully if I can manage to do all that, I'll finally be able to alleviate some of the symptoms of PCOS, and continue to lose weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment