Friday, October 30, 2009

Some recent gluten free dishes


Bob's Red Mill cornbread muffins

This is the same mix I used earlier to make a pan of cornbread, this time I made them into muffins. I got 16, but considering how much they rose (sorry, no pics!), I could have filled each cup a little less and gotten 18 no problem. I took them to the church Halloween activity last week, then brought the leftovers home, put them in ziploc bags, and tossed them in the freezer. They were super-easy to pop in the microwave for a few seconds to defrost, leaving them in the bag to help keep the moisture in. We then ate them with...







Bob's Red Mill 13 bean soup

It's naturally gluten free. You would think this would be a no-brainer, but it's not. I looked at the bags of beans at wally world (the ones for ham and bean soup), and they all had gluten in them. So I was stuck with the more expensive Bob's bean soup mix, but I think having a variety of beans is a good thing. I couldn't find a ham hock at wally world (you'd think they'd have them, but apparently not), so I tossed in a pork loin instead. It wasn't pretty once it was all cooked up (hence no pictures), but it tasted good. Now if we could just find a way to eliminate the side effects.




 
Chebe pizza crust mix

We made pizza the other night, and I used the Chebe pizza crust mix. I've used Bob's Red Mill pizza crust mix before, but it's kind of bland and it has yeast in it. The only non-yeast pizza crust I've found yet is Chebe. They use a lot of herbs to give it a nice flavor, and the outside edge of the crust gets nice and crunchy. The only thing that's a little off is the part of the crust that touches the sauce gets a bit gummy. It's not super-noticeable, but it's there. I think next time I make it, I'll try cooking it for longer before adding the toppings. Another good thing about this mix: it's quite inexpensive! I think I paid around $2 for it, which is way less than I've paid for any other gluten free mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment